Dedications: My four late friends Rory, Stan, Bryan, Jeff - shine on you crazy diamonds, they would have blogged too. Then theres Garry from Brisbane, Franco in Milan, Mike now in S.F. / my '60s-'80s gang: Ned & Joseph in Ireland; in England: Frank, Des, Guy, Clive, Joe & Joe, Ian, Ivan, Nick, David, Les, Stewart, the 3 Michaels / Catriona, Sally, Monica, Jean, Ella, Anne, Candie / and now: Daryl in N.Y., Jerry, John, Colin, Martin and Donal.

Tuesday 18 November 2014

Hockney - that new documentary

Already shown at this year's London Film Festival, but opening in cinemas here on November 28 is HOCKNEY, this new documentary (by Randall Wright) on one of our favourites here, artist David Hockney. There is also a live Q & A from Los Angeles at selected venues, but I will be in Ireland that week so will have to rush to it on my return, and it is out on DVD on 15 December. 

I don't imagine it will be as graphic as Jack Hazan's 1974 A BIGGER SPLASH (see Hockney label), capturing the younger Hockney at his early Seventies peak, and his then group of friends. We liked that poster at the time, and that is also on Blu-ray now. The recent Hockney books - that two volume biograhy by Christopher Simon Sykes - and those recent successful exhibitions were covered here, see Hockney label. I like this Sixtes photo too ....... 
I remember being in a bar in Notting Hill, it must have been mid 1966 (when I was 20) - and saw him there, that blond hair and round glasses made him totally individual, as of course blondes have more fun!  Now he is the quite deaf Grand Old Man of Britsh Art in his seventies. ,,, as per my previous posts on him, at label.

No comments:

Post a Comment