Dedications: My four late friends Rory, Stan, Bryan, Jeff - shine on you crazy diamonds, they would have blogged too. Then theres Garry from Brisbane, Franco in Milan, Mike now in S.F. / my '60s-'80s gang: Ned & Joseph in Ireland; in England: Frank, Des, Guy, Clive, Joe & Joe, Ian, Ivan, Nick, David, Les, Stewart, the 3 Michaels / Catriona, Sally, Monica, Jean, Ella, Anne, Candie / and now: Daryl in N.Y., Jerry, John, Colin, Martin and Donal.

Tuesday 24 July 2012

Dirk as Gabriel

I won't tell you how much I paid for it but once I saw this great 8x10 glossy of Dirk Bogarde as Gabriel in MODESTY BLAISE, I simply had to have it. In all my years of collecting Dirk and Modesty items I had never seen this photo before, and its a good authenticated signature too. 
(he wears a similar black cap in several scenes in the Losey classic).
I have my own Dirk autograph, personalised "to Michael" by Dirk when I met him at the National Film Theatre in 1970 - yikes, 42 years ago! (as per my report at Bogarde label), but here it is again. (the autograph site: clickautographs.com has some other great stuff too, which I must return to...). 



 My friend Martin adds:  "Cheap at the price, I say.  I believe everything is worth what we pay for it, be it tuppence or £200, if it is something we really want and makes us feel good."

I could of course have just copied the image, but at least now I have the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment