Dedications: My four late friends Rory, Stan, Bryan, Jeff - shine on you crazy diamonds, they would have blogged too. Then theres Garry from Brisbane, Franco in Milan, Mike now in S.F. / my '60s-'80s gang: Ned & Joseph in Ireland; in England: Frank, Des, Guy, Clive, Joe & Joe, Ian, Ivan, Nick, David, Les, Stewart, the 3 Michaels / Catriona, Sally, Monica, Jean, Ella, Anne, Candie / and now: Daryl in N.Y., Jerry, John, Colin, Martin and Donal.

Wednesday 23 November 2016

RIP, continued ...

Still they come - music legends passing away this year. I am really sad to hear the demise of Leon Russell, shortly after Leonard Cohen and Mose Allison, see below. - and now also, Colonel Abrams.

I loved Leon's funky rock circa 1970 and later, and his great song "A Song For You", sung by so many, but particularly great by Donny Hathaway and Aretha Franklin. 
Leon Russell, (1942-2016) aged 74, was a singer, songwriter and session musician who led Joe Cocker’s band MAD DOGS AND ENGLISHMEN, took part in the Concert for Bangladesh in Madison Square Garden, and wrote several hit songs like "Delta Lady" and I liked those groovy tracks like "Shoot Out On The Plantation". 
After languishing in relative obscurity for several decades he reappeared six years ago to partner Elton John on THE UNION, John’s gospel-tinged album, which was described by Neil McCormick in The Daily Telegraph as “a rich, lyrical stew of southern country soul”.
Leon had a wild look with all that hair and beard and hats, and I am sure he had a great rock'n'roll life.

I've been so many places in my life and times
I've sung a lot of songs, I've made some bad rhymes
I've acted out my life on stages
With 10,000 people watching me
But we're alone now and I'm singing this song to you
. . . . .
I love you in a place where there's no space and time
I love you for my life, you are a friend of mine
And when my life is over
Remember when we were together
We were alone and I was singing this song to you.


Colonel Abrams (1949-2016), aged 67. The Colonel may have been a one hit wonder here, but what a hit. We loved "Trapped" back in 1985, and it charted several times, and remains an imperishable club classic, from that heady decade.  He was one of the creators of house music and had several club hits but "Trapped" remained his signature song, sad that despite its success and millions of sales, he was said to be almost destitute and homeless in New York in his final days. RIP indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment