Dedications: My four late friends Rory, Stan, Bryan, Jeff - shine on you crazy diamonds, they would have blogged too. Then theres Garry from Brisbane, Franco in Milan, Mike now in S.F. / my '60s-'80s gang: Ned & Joseph in Ireland; in England: Frank, Des, Guy, Clive, Joe & Joe, Ian, Ivan, Nick, David, Les, Stewart, the 3 Michaels / Catriona, Sally, Monica, Jean, Ella, Anne, Candie / and now: Daryl in N.Y., Jerry, John, Colin, Martin and Donal.

Saturday 9 March 2013

Among my souvenirs ...

My friend Colin texted me this morning - he was in a second-hand bookshop and had seen the souvenir programme for the 1968 film THE CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE, the Tony Richardson opus starring David Hemmings and Vanessa Redgrave, which I had posted about here a few times. It was 99p and did I want it? I had to reply and tell him I already had it, so I went down to the garage, pulled out the box on theatre and show programmes, where there were a lot of movie programmes too, as per this example.

All the big movies then had a souvenir programme for their first run - the 'big' or offbeat movies all got this kind of prestige programme. THE LION IN WINTER had a good one, as well as those early Streisand musicals (even ON A CLEAR DAY ...), CABARET, 2001, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS etc. One hardly sees them now.  Of course so did the big epics back in the 60s - we treasured our BEN HUR and EL CID programmes, along with the soundtrack album ... our only souvenir of the film in that pre-video age.  Ah, nostalgia ....

No comments:

Post a Comment