Dedications: My four late friends Rory, Stan, Bryan, Jeff - shine on you crazy diamonds, they would have blogged too. Then theres Garry from Brisbane, Franco in Milan, Mike now in S.F. / my '60s-'80s gang: Ned & Joseph in Ireland; in England: Frank, Des, Guy, Clive, Joe & Joe, Ian, Ivan, Nick, David, Les, Stewart, the 3 Michaels / Catriona, Sally, Monica, Jean, Ella, Anne, Candie / and now: Daryl in N.Y., Jerry, John, Colin, Martin and Donal.

Tuesday 6 September 2016

Woody's films ranked !

I am indebted to that enterprising movie magazine LITTLE WHITE LIES, as they have ranked all Woody Allen's 46 films, with interesting comments on them, just as his new one CAFE SOCIETY is getting better than usual reviews here (My pal Martin "loved, loved, loved it".). The link is here:   Enjoy!
I couldn't top that, Woody (is it really 51 years since he was chasing Romy Schneider in WHAT'S NEW PUSSYCAT?, our favourite 1965 cult movie .... ) has been variable over the years, with some movies I love (ok, the mainly early funny and mid-period ones) and some I just had no interest in seeing. 

My top 10 Woodys would be:      (but check the link and read all about them all). 
  • ANNIE HALL
  • MANHATTAN
  • INTERIORS
  • STARDUST MEMORIES
  • HANNAH AND HER SISTERS
  • CRIMES AND MISDEMEANOURS
  • MIDNIGHT IN PARIS
  • EVERYONE SAYS I LOVE YOU
  • ANOTHER WOMAN
  • RADIO DAYS
  • BROADWAY DANNY ROSE
  • THE PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO
  • LOVE AND DEATH
I dashed to BLUE JASMINE which seemed his best in years, it was only after we realised the flaws in the script, but it was marvellously done, especially by Cate Blanchett. His London movie YOU WILL MEET A TALL DARK STRANGER worked for us too. 1972's EVERYTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT SEX amused at the time - Woody as the Fool, Gene Wilder and the sheep - but that extended sperm sequence may jar now, with that anti-gay jibe (Are there any gays in the Woody universe, apart from Meryl Streep as the lesbian ex-wife in MANHATTAN?) 
Reviews of some of these at Woody label. Lets hope he, in his 80s,  can keep turning out a movie a year for a while longer yet ...  

3 comments:

  1. Which school did you go to, dear boy? Obviously they didn't teach maths as you can't count to 10, (I found there were 13 films on that list). Otherwise, no complaints with the films included though I do think you need to seek out some of the 'lesser' ones. Have you seen SEPTEMBER and ANOTHER WOMAN, two of his greatest works imo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ANOTHER WOMAN is in my list above. Do pay attention.

      Delete
  2. Indeed it is. I am properly bitch-slapped.

    ReplyDelete