Dedications: My four late friends Rory, Stan, Bryan, Jeff - shine on you crazy diamonds, they would have blogged too. Then theres Garry from Brisbane, Franco in Milan, Mike now in S.F. / my '60s-'80s gang: Ned & Joseph in Ireland; in England: Frank, Des, Guy, Clive, Joe & Joe, Ian, Ivan, Nick, David, Les, Stewart, the 3 Michaels / Catriona, Sally, Monica, Jean, Ella, Anne, Candie / and now: Daryl in N.Y., Jerry, John, Colin, Martin and Donal.

Saturday 20 September 2014

Happy Birthday, Sophia !

Happy 80th Birthday, Sophia. Some great clips here - I love that mambo from WOMAN OF THE RIVER, 1954.., and, below, clips from the 1955 SCANDAL IN SORRETO, aka PANE, AMORE, E ... . (now winging its way to me, but in Italian only!).
For UK viewers, Sky Arts 1 has a new documentary with interviews "Sophia, Yesterday Today & Tomorrow" which they will be screening a few times over the weekend, along with THE SUNFLOWER, not the best of her De Sica-Mastroianni collaborations, but I have not seen it since its release, when it was curiously old-fashioned back in the late 60s. 
I may re-watch some of her less-seen items like HELLER IN PINK TIGHTS or THAT KIND OF WOMAN, or some of her early Italian films like LUCKY TO BE A WOMAN or THE SIGN OF VENUS and I never tire of her and Peck in ARABESQUE. I am finally getting to see the 1955 SCANDAL IN SORRENTO (PANE, AMORE, E ...) but only in Italian! 

No comments:

Post a Comment