Dedications: My four late friends Rory, Stan, Bryan, Jeff - shine on you crazy diamonds, they would have blogged too. Then theres Garry from Brisbane, Franco in Milan, Mike now in S.F. / my '60s-'80s gang: Ned & Joseph in Ireland; in England: Frank, Des, Guy, Clive, Joe & Joe, Ian, Ivan, Nick, David, Les, Stewart, the 3 Michaels / Catriona, Sally, Monica, Jean, Ella, Anne, Candie / and now: Daryl in N.Y., Jerry, John, Colin, Martin and Donal.

Monday 21 November 2011

Peter Burton, R.I.P.


A moment here to mention the passing of one of England's gay writers and publisher - Peter Burton (1945-2011), whom I did not know but we seemed to have, as per the title of his autobiography, "Parallel Lives" - both born in 1945 and in London since the 1960s, and later I moved to Brighton too for some years. Peter was prominent in setting up the early gay titles like "Gay Times" and was its arts and book editor, and also published a book of his interviews with the likes of Patricia Highsmith, Gore Vidal, Joe Orton, Robert Maugham etc. In the 70s he was doing PR for Rod Stewart in America and wrote amusingly about that too. I trust my own memoir will be as readable! It is always sad to see the passing of one of those influential people from one's own era. He will be missed. That's him in the doorway of the west end Le Duce club in 1967, one of my earliest London haunts too.

No comments:

Post a Comment