Dedications: My four late friends Rory, Stan, Bryan, Jeff - shine on you crazy diamonds, they would have blogged too. Then theres Garry from Brisbane, Franco in Milan, Mike now in S.F. / my '60s-'80s gang: Ned & Joseph in Ireland; in England: Frank, Des, Guy, Clive, Joe & Joe, Ian, Ivan, Nick, David, Les, Stewart, the 3 Michaels / Catriona, Sally, Monica, Jean, Ella, Anne, Candie / and now: Daryl in N.Y., Jerry, John, Colin, Martin and Donal.

Sunday 24 July 2011

Amy Winehouse R.I.P.

Famine in Somalia continues .... massacre in Norway .... and poor Amy [1983-2011] departs. Sometimes words are just superfluous.
Why is it great talents have their fingers firmly on the self-destruct button? - from Jimmy Dean in the '50s, Jim Morrison [towering over me at the Roundhouse in London in 1968 - Doors label], Judy in 1969, Janis in 1970, Elvis in '77 ... and now Amy, almost a death foretold.
It is always the same when a celebrity self-annihilates, stalked by the paparazzi - then the sob sisters take over raking over the tragic wasted life .... but we still have the legacy of their talent.

Blogger won't allow me to reply to comments on my own blog, though I can on others!
Here is my reply:
"Love Is A Losing Game and of course Rehab, all the Back to Black album - I should also check out her first album. There are several downloads on my ipod too ["Fu*k Me Pumps, There is no greater love]"

2 comments:

  1. Sad. What were some of your favorite songs of hers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Me and Mr. Jones", "Tears Dry On Their Own", "F Me Pumps", "Amy Amy Amy", "Take the Box". I can think of no songwriter since Joni Mitchell who could so beautifully transform wrenching heartbreak into amazing songs.

    ReplyDelete