Dedications: My four late friends Rory, Stan, Bryan, Jeff - shine on you crazy diamonds, they would have blogged too. Then theres Garry from Brisbane, Franco in Milan, Mike now in S.F. / my '60s-'80s gang: Ned & Joseph in Ireland; in England: Frank, Des, Guy, Clive, Joe & Joe, Ian, Ivan, Nick, David, Les, Stewart, the 3 Michaels / Catriona, Sally, Monica, Jean, Ella, Anne, Candie / and now: Daryl in N.Y., Jerry, John, Colin, Martin and Donal.

Monday 6 September 2010

Magazines (7) - another trawl through the archives!



Many thanks to Cristina in New York for sending the 1984 Truffaut issue of CAHIERS DU CINEMA. This 1963 'monograph' on Antonioni, which I got when I was 17, must be the about the first English publication on him - I had lost it for years but found it in a box in the garage the other week. Terrific! Fascinating too to read Pauline Kael's long essay "Fantasies of the Art House Audience" in this 1962 SIGHT & SOUND (its reprinted in her 'I Lost It At The Movies' book), and some other assorted covers - I have written about FILMS & FILMING, MOVIE and WHO'S WHO IN HOLLYWOOD 1966 previously. I wish I had kept more of those late '70s/early '80s AFTER DARK magazines - they are like messages from an exotic vanished world now.

No comments:

Post a Comment