Dedications: My four late friends Rory, Stan, Bryan, Jeff - shine on you crazy diamonds, they would have blogged too. Then theres Garry from Brisbane, Franco in Milan, Mike now in S.F. / my '60s-'80s gang: Ned & Joseph in Ireland; in England: Frank, Des, Guy, Clive, Joe & Joe, Ian, Ivan, Nick, David, Les, Stewart, the 3 Michaels / Catriona, Sally, Monica, Jean, Ella, Anne, Candie / and now: Daryl in N.Y., Jerry, John, Colin, Martin and Donal.

Saturday 17 July 2010

When You're Strange ...

I wonder if that new documentary on The Doors WHEN YOU'RE STRANGE includes this moment from their 1968 concert in London, as that is me [lower right] sitting down in front of Jim Morrison in these photos. I was 22 and remember it well, as my hippie friends and I were sitting on the floor in front of crush barriers at The Roundhouse in Camden, a hip performance venue of the time (as it is again now, but it was rather more primitive back then...). At one stage a very sweaty Jim, in his white shirt and leather trousers, came down from the stage to the barriers and was walking in front of us, at one stage looming over us and that is how I remember it.

Seeing the recording a few decades later in the '90s I realised that was me [I had a head of hair then] and it was that moment when he towered over us. It was a super night as The Doors were supported by Jefferson Airplane with their psychedelic light show - they did two sessions each but only The Doors shows were recorded, pity not in colour. Still, its a classic moment from my mis-spent youth, we were all high as kites, including it seems Morrison!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! what I wouldn't give to have seen Jim Morrison and the Doors while high in 1968 !!!!!

    ReplyDelete