Dedications: My four late friends Rory, Stan, Bryan, Jeff - shine on you crazy diamonds, they would have blogged too. Then theres Garry from Brisbane, Franco in Milan, Mike now in S.F. / my '60s-'80s gang: Ned & Joseph in Ireland; in England: Frank, Des, Guy, Clive, Joe & Joe, Ian, Ivan, Nick, David, Les, Stewart, the 3 Michaels / Catriona, Sally, Monica, Jean, Ella, Anne, Candie / and now: Daryl in N.Y., Jerry, John, Colin, Martin and Donal.

Monday 4 January 2010

First film seen of 2010: That venerable old warhorse THE GUNS OF NAVARONE, which I had not seen since I was a kid in Ireland, what - almost 50 years ago. It still works well on its boys own adventure level, but what was interesting for me was it was filmed at Rhodes, and I had been holidaying on that Greek island back in October, so it was fun seeing the locations used. There is an 'Anthony Quinn beach' there and most of the climax was shot around the Medieval Walled City part of Rhodes Old Town and Mandraki Harbour where the lighthouse is. In the movie the guns are just above this on a (non-existant cliff) which makes for a fun climax. The wonder of movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment